aprs.fi v2.1.0 released
GainIO has released version 2.0.5 of aprs.fi for iOS. This is the official iPhone and iPad application of aprs.fi, the favourite APRS web site of the amateur radio world.
Obtain immediate, real-time access to current APRS position information, weather reports, telemetry graphs, and more. Zoom and browse around the world and see stations immediately – no waiting.
- Search callsigns and addresses, with quick search-as-you-type and search history features
- Track multiple stations at the same time
- Filter information shown on the map (weather stations, AIS)
- View weather, telemetry and statistic graphs
- Beacon your position on aprs.fi
- Attach to a transceiver with a wireless connection to a BLE TNC, receive and transmit position beacons without the Internet
- Runs directly on top of the reliable and fast aprs.fi database
- Tested to work great on all currently-supported iPhone and iPad models
- Supports iOS 11/12/13
- Dark Mode support for an ergonomic viewing experience in low-light environments
- High-resolution graphics for Retina and Retina HD displays with full APRS symbol set
Buy the app – get the web site for free!
Some new features require a subscription. All old and some new features will be available without a subscription fee. A list of features included in the Extra Features subscription package:
- • APRS text messaging
- • High-performance software DSP modem
- • APRS-IS beaconing, with up to 10 callsign profiles
- • Long time ranges in map and graph views
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
GPS is not required for viewing APRS information.
aprs.fi for iOS can be downloaded for $6.99 from the Apple App Store
Support for the aprs.fi iOS app for iPhone and iPad is available at http://aprs.fi/page/app_support
What’s New in Version 2.1.0
- Navigation! Driving directions right there in an APRS app, so there’s no need to switch to another navigation app.
- Improvements and bug fixes in Address Search, for proper local searching. Displays more information on the found places.
- Touch a spot on the map for a longer while and a pin/marker will be dropped, with coordinates, address and Directions button to start navigation.
- Smooth scrolling of map when following your location instead of slightly jumpy scrolling!
- “Heading up” instead of “North up” map mode – enabled when navigation is started, or by repeatedly tapping the “center on current location” button.
- New languages: Catalan and Czech!
- Translation updates: Japanese, French, Swedish, Portuguese.
- Station information view again works properly in landscape mode on wedged-display devices.
- TNC view: Show a proper error message if Bluetooth not allowed in privacy settings.
Version 2.0.6 which was released last week added these features:
- • New languages: Portuguese, Slovenian and Swedish!
- • Lots of updates to Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish, Chinese (Simplified) translations.
- • Messaging error message strings are now available for translation.